This isn’t just a plugin, man. It’s The Dude, so that’s what you call it. That, or His Dudeness… Duder… or El Duderino, if, you know, you’re not into the whole brevity thing.
It symbolizes the realization of an entire modern lazy hippie bowling amateur private investigator generation summed up in two words spoken most famously by Jeff Bridges.
The Dude was created by WordPress developer Kostas Vrouvas, who seemed to have a bit of free time on his hands. It takes inspiration (and some code) from Matt Mullenweg’s Hello Dolly plugin, replacing the musical’s lyrics at the top of admin screens with quotes from The Big Lebowski.
We tested the plugin and found that it works flawlessly. The royal “we”. You know, the editorial…
Some of the random Lebowski quotes so far include:
- Walter, he peed on my rug!
- And, you know, he’s got emotional problems, man.
- Well, that’s like, your opinion, man.
- Also, my rug was stolen.
- You’re Mr. Lebowski. I’m the Dude.
- Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
- Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
- Hey, careful, man, there’s a beverage here!
It really ties the site together.