Remember when I mentioned that Justin Tadlock was working on a new plugin to manage roles and capabilities for users in WordPress? A few days ago, Justin announced that the first beta version of the plugin is available to the public. So far, here is what you can do with the plugin.
- Edit Roles: Edit your user roles and their capabilities.
- New Roles: Create new roles for use on your site.
- Content Permissions: Adds a meta box on your write post/page editor that allows you to restrict content to specific roles.
- Widgets: Adds a login form widget and user-listing widget that you can use in any widget area on your site.
- Shortcodes: Creates shortcodes that you can use to restrict or allow access to certain parts of your posts and pages (or any other shortcode-capable area).
- Template Tags: New functions for use within your WordPress theme for various things.
- Private Blog: Allows you to create a private blog that can only be accessed by users that are logged in (redirects them to the login page).
Justin is currently looking for feedback and considering the popularity from when he mentioned the idea, I’m sure he’ll get it. P.S. As for my idea regarding the name of the plugin, how about this: Cap And Role.
Will give the beta a go! A lot of people have been wanting a plugin like this for a long time.