It was announced yesterday that Matt Mullenweg will be the one to oversee the development of Twenty Twelve, the new default theme for WordPress 3.4. Here is a list of things that the WordPress core team would like to see make it into Twenty Twelve:
- single post/permalink view with post formats is needed
- variable height header image
- mobile version
- default to static front page (will need a function in core to auto-choose)
- editor styles the same as front end.
- avoid clever things that aren’t super-useful (like ephemera widget)
- start with 2011 as base for code (or 2010, which has gotten more updates and had more eyes on it)
- no featured image in header
- by default – no header image
If anything, it looks like Twenty Twelve will be simpler than Twenty Eleven. I wonder if the theme will be blue with rounded corners, just for old times sake?