In an effort to inspire WordPress theme designers and add a variety of new themes to the directory, the WordPress Theme Review Team is hosting a Design Challenge Weekend, December 13-14th. The challenge is meant to do the following:
- Raise the design standard of the WordPress.org theme directory.
- Match developers to designers.
- Encourage designers to create themes.
- Offer resources for designers to learn how to make themes.
- Educate developers in design.
Leading up to the event, the team will hold a few learnups on Slack. Learnups are mini classes related to theme design. Dates have not been set but three individuals have been chosen to act as teachers.
- @greenshady aka Justin Tadlock on making a child theme.
- @karmatosed aka Tammie Lister will do one on the Underscores framework.
- @melchoyce aka Mel Choyce on design principles for developers
Starting next week, things will get underway to establish a series of relationships between the following:
- Designers looking for developers.
- Developers looking for designers.
- Designers doing it for themselves.
Work will begin on a theme once pairs are established. Throughout the event, Slack (#themereview) will be used as the primary communication method to provide design critiques and updates. As Lister points out, “The main focus of the weekend is going to be helping each other and reveling in theme design.” If you have any questions or concerns, the best place to ask is in the comments of the official announcement post.
This will happen few days before my birthday, oh guys how nice of you